Sunday, July 31, 2011

Portland Timbers

One of the newest teams in the MLS (Major League Soccer) is the Portland Timbers. The Timbers moved up to this league in 2011 and it has seen its popularity boom in Portland. We were lucky enough to snag third row seats for my first soccer game.

Here's Steven with his new Timbers scarf. 

This is the view after the Timber's first goal of the game. They have giant smoke bombs, chainsaws, and paper streamers everywhere. The crowd is so into it. They even have a section called the Timber's Army who yells chants the entire game. My favorite was, "when I root, I root for the Timbers." They were also the most eclectic bunch of fans I've ever seen. You had families, businessmen, and the tattooed and pierced. They were so polite too. Whenever a Timber missed a shot, they would would clap and cheer giving the player some encouragement. This is a far cry from what any New York fan would do if a player screwed something up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment