Tuesday, March 26, 2013

another chapter


I’m thinking of taking a new approach to this blog. As many of you know, Steven and I are no longer traveling. We have been settled for the past year in Lincoln, Nebraska both doing collegiate work. Steven is finishing his undergraduate degree in music and picking up a minor in business. I was taking pre requisites for a nursing program and now, as of May 13th, will be enrolled in the accelerated BSN program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The College of Nursing has a campus in Lincoln making it an easy transition.  

I have now been working at a hospital for over a year. It has been one of the most eye-opening years as I’ve experienced a whole new part of the American health care system. My previous experience was in a nursing home setting and as I quickly found out, the hospital rules are very different from that of a nursing home although they are both governed by the Department of Health and Human Services. The differences lie in reimbursements, or so I’ve been told. Those kinds of conversations are usually the ones that have me running and screaming. It takes away the humanness of a person and puts them into charts and numbers, which as someone caring for another human seems totally absurd.

So back to my very first sentence; I’m thinking of taking a new approach to this blog. I would like to share some of my stories and/or thoughts on this entire process. Looking at nursing from the inside and the outside as well. I’ve been reading many interesting articles and books and have had lots of notable experiences, and this could be a good outlet to look at them, so look for new posts soon.

1 comment: