Sunday, December 4, 2011

Grand Rapids Public Musuem

Yesterday, I made a quick trip to the Public Museum here in Grand Rapids. It was conveniently located across the street from our hotel. Somehow I waited until the end of the week to get to it, but it happened nonetheless. I loved the "Grand Rapids" pride it had. I think visiting a local museum is a must. I knew nothing about the city and left with a wealth of knowledge. This picture is a re-creation of the streets of downtown Grand Rapids at the turn of the century.


This is a giant steam engine that was used at one of the many furniture stores. Grand Rapids was known as the "Furniture City" and to quote a sign I saw, "people all the way from Nebraska even ordered their furniture from Grand Rapids."

They had many furniture displays, this being one of my favorites.

They had a really cool 1950's dress exhibit. These dresses were worn by 2 sisters at events all around Grand Rapids and the University of Michigan. There's a story next to each dress about the event.



No comments:

Post a Comment