Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

I have spent some time thinking about the past year and how to wrap it up in one post. I'm going to go month by month and just list a few highlights. There will be no complete sentences in this post from this point forward, so grammar junkies beware.

January- nephews. cheesesteaks. cousins. restaurant with swings.
February- wine. friends. jellybeans. matthew is 1.
March- Offsey. Baltimore. First Watch. Louisville Slugger
April- Steven birthday. Cleveland. Kings
May- wedding. wedding. wedding. wedding. wedding. wedding. wedding. wedding. HONEYMOON!
June- hot. Arizona. Este pizza. bat mitzvah. move.
July- home. home. home. i love being home. hot visit with the nephews.
August- soccer. Portland. family. Seattle. golf.
September- Denver. family.
October- Huskers. harvest.
November- Packers. crafts. being thankful.
December- nephews. family. birthday love.


I've also decided to pick out my top 5 books from my "tour book list".

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - this is a classic that I had never read in its entirety. A beautiful book made even better after living in New York. If you haven't read this one (or even if you have) read it. The main character, Francie, takes you into her world with the most vivid details. You feel like you're really there.


2. The Hunger Games - this series is fast paced and will get you over that Harry Potter depression you've had since the 7th book was released. The main characters are interesting and, although the writing in the 2nd two books is not as good as the first, you will be entertained from start to finish. And if you start reading them now you'll be ready for the first movie in March.


3. The Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley- by far Flavia has been my favorite character of the year. She's an 11 year old who finds herself in the role of a detective. It makes me laugh out loud reading the thoughts of an 11 year old. Bradley is a superb writer, maybe the best of all I've read this year.


4. Being a devoted fiction reader, I cannot believe that I'm putting a non-fiction book on this list but The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks in a great read. It's a look not only into her life but the advances that have taken place in science. It also touches on some civil rights issues.


5.  A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch- I'm a sucker for any British mystery novel. This one is set in London in 1865 and the Victorian gentleman main character happens to moonlight as a detective. Finch has a way of creating a scene and really takes you into turn of the century London. This is the first in a series and I can't wait to get home and read the next.

Now onto the New Year's Resolutions

I'm extremely excited and ready for 2012. Steven and I will be moving back to Nebraska. This is a move I thought would never happen so when Steven suggested it almost a year ago, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After several hours of telling him why we shouldn't move to NE and then listening to my dad list off those very same reasons, we were set. It's happening and we couldn't be more happy. There are so many wonderful things about Nebraska, many that most people are completely unaware of. So as we move forward, I resolve to keep this blog going. It will no longer be about our travels across the country, but about our daily travels as we adjust to living in Lincoln.


My sister has convinced me to add this to my New Year's resolution: I will run 500 miles in 2012. I'm making it public and will put a counter on the blog. I'm already nervous since the first week of the year will be spent moving and not leave too much time for running, but if I'm consistent 500 miles equals about 9 miles a week. Putting it in that terms is totally doable. 


Because I'm not one for many too many New Year's resolutions, the next one is a general one. I want to stay positive in 2012. Our mind has a way of controlling our lives. If I stay positive, I know 2012 will be one of the best years yet. It sounds corny, but it's definitely something I struggle with everyday.

So here's to a happy, healthy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment